- Member of the Board of Editors, ICSID Law Review
- Member of ICSID Panel of Conciliators (appointed by the United States for a term ended on 7 February 2008)
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Member of the ICDR Panel of Neutrals
- Member of CPR Panels of Distinguished Neutrals (Energy, Cross-Border Disputes)
- Member of the IBA Subcommittee on Investment Arbitration
- Roster of International Arbitrators, International Arbitration Institute
- Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Who’s Who in Public International Law (First Ed. 2007)
- Chambers Global for international arbitration (since 2007)
- Chambers Global for Public International Law (2013)
- Chambers USA for international arbitration (since 2006)
- Chambers Latin America for international arbitration (since inaugural edition 2009)
- The Legal 500 - United States, for international arbitration and energy (since 2007)
- The Legal 500 – Latin America for international arbitration (2013)
- Euromoney’s Expert Guides The Best of the Best USA for Commercial Arbitration (2013); Expert Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers for International Commercial Arbitration (since 2006); Benchmark Litigation for international arbitration (Litigation Star).
- The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration Lawyers (2009)
- Who’s Who Legal for arbitration (since 2007); Who’s Who Legal 100 (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America for international arbitration (since 2007)
- Super Lawyers (since 2007)
- Practical Law Company for dispute resolution, arbitration (USA)
Comments from Ranking Publications
- Chambers USA (International Arbitration).
2012: “Market sources affirm Oscar Garibaldi’s ‘depth of knowledge in international arbitration and international law’ and characterize him as ‘a first-class litigator with a very considerable knowledge of international arbitration.’ He is particularly noted for his investment-treaty expertise and has led several ICSID arbitrations in the past year.”
2011: “Oscar Garibaldi is highlighted in particular for his expertise in Latin American matters and investor-state work. His ‘composed demeanor and cogent style of arguing’ are especially appreciated by sources.”
2010: “Oscar Garibaldi is a revered figure in the field who specializes predominantly in investment treaty matters. He leads on the ExxonMobil matters.”
2009: “Oscar Garibaldi impresses commentators with his calm, collected manner, intelligence, and experience in Latin American disputes."
2008: “Beneficiary of a triple training in common, civil and public international law, Oscar Garibaldi is a multilingual Argentine-born investor-state specialist. ‘Articulate and analytical,’ he ‘possesses an elegant style that is perfect for international arbitration,’ commentators report.”
2007: “Oscar Garibaldi (see p. 219) is, according to commentators, ‘knowledgeable, precise and highly analytical.’ Garibaldi specializes in investor-state dispute resolution and as an Argentinean has first-hand knowledge of Latin America, which has no doubt contributed to his success in winning awards against several Latin American republics. ‘Comprehensively fluent in Spanish, client-friendly, full of new ideas and very thoughtful, Garibaldi is an intelligent counsel who can get tough when required.’”
2006: “Oscar Garibaldi (see p. 101) specializes in investor-state relations, with his Argentinean roots making him particularly well suited to Latin American cases. Commentators noted that he has a ‘polished Ivy League style’ and that he offers ‘convincing and clearly thought-through analysis.’ Clients particularly turn to him, when they require a ‘bigger picture approach,’ confident in the knowledge that he has a ‘full understanding of all cultural and international issues.’’
- Chambers Latin America (International Arbitration).
2013: “Oscar Garibaldi is ‘thorough, convincing, sophisticated and eloquent,’ say sources. He continues to represent ExxonMobil and its subsidiaries in ongoing ICC and ICSID matters against Venezuela.”
2012: “He’s sophisticated and persuasive,” say clients of Oscar Garibaldi, “a cool head, broadly experienced, with great dynamism, focus and expertise.” He also wins praise for being agile enough to handle Latin American matters in Spanish when required.”
2011: “Highly respected lawyer Oscar Garibaldi is described as ‘exceptional in investment treaty work.’ He is leading the firm’s representation of ExxonMobil against Venezuela.”
2010: “Foremost among the raft of talented individuals, Oscar Garibaldi received a boost to his reputation thanks to his work in the ExxonMobil case. His scholarly, well-informed approach makes him extremely popular with clients.”
2009 (inaugural edition): “Renowned as a serious academic, Garibaldi is praised for his measured and well-grounded advocacy style; sources agree that he is ‘an excellent lawyer and a pleasure to work with.’”
- Chambers Global (International Arbitration – Public International Law).
2013: Arbitration (International): “Oscar Garibaldi plays a leading role in the firm’s work for Exxon Mobil. He is frequently sought after for his strong background in both common and civil law, his language abilities as well as his extensive experience handling commercial and investment arbitrations.” Public International Law: “Oscar Garibaldi is renowned for his impressive investment treaty practice, with sources stating that ‘his education in both civil and common law and his complete fluency in Spanish and English make him an ideal choice to present cases before international panels, especially in disputes with Latin American companies or governments.’ Clients also report that ‘his oral and written advocacy is thorough, convincing, sophisticated and eloquent.’”
2012: Arbitration (International): “Oscar Garibaldi is regarded as an expert in investor-state dispute resolution. He is ‘sophisticated and persuasive, and has ‘great dynamism, focus and expertise.’” Public International Law: “Oscar Garibaldi specializes in international arbitration and litigation, with an emphasis on investor-state dispute resolution. ‘He is a sophisticated and persuasive advocate,’ say sources.”
2011: “Oscar Garibaldi is based in Washington, DC and specialises in investor-state arbitration. Highlights include representing Tidewater and Mobil in separate ICSID cases against Venezuela.”
2010: “Oscar Garibaldi’s main caseload centres on investor-state arbitrations coming from Latin America. ‘Scholarly, diligent and hard working,’ he primarily acts as counsel but is also visible as an arbitrator.”
2009: Listed among leading individuals.
2008: Listed among leading individuals.
2007: Listed among leading individuals.
- The Legal 500 - United States.
2012: Litigation. International Arbitration: “Oscar Garibaldi and […] are recommended as ‘lawyers of exceptional ability, judgment, and efficiency’.” Energy. Litigation: “[…] is also recommended, as is arbitration expert Oscar Garibaldi.”
2011: “Oscar Garibaldi is also well regarded.”
2010: “Oscar Garibaldi has ‘thorough knowledge of both commercial and investor-state arbitrations, while his courteous, diplomatic manner makes him an extremely persuasive advocate’.”
2009: “Oscar Garibaldi is ‘a remarkable attorney’ with ‘thorough knowledge of international arbitration, both commercial and investor-state.’ Furthermore, ‘the clarity and analytic strength of his written and oral advocacy combined with his courteous, diplomatic manner make him an extremely persuasive advocate.’ He is ‘fully at ease in front of arbitrators with common law or civil law backgrounds, and his complete fluency in English and Spanish is an added benefit in disputes dealing with investments in Latin America.’”
2007: “Washington, DC-based Oscar Garibaldi is ‘articulate and meticulous’ and ‘has a thorough command of international law with respect to foreign investments and ICSID arbitration,’ say clients.”
- The Legal 500 – Latin America
- Who’s Who Legal 100
- Rómulo Gallegos Fellow (Inter-American Commission on Human Rights) (1974)
- Project Director, Ford Foundation grant, Research on the Ideological content of human rights instruments (1978)